Hello all,
How goes it? I am going to give a brief update on the last two days since I am at a cafe and I don't really feel like writing too much.Yesterday (Feb 3) was fairly irrelevant since we spent almost all day "debriefing" our experiences.Today (Feb 4), however, was quite interesting. As I mentioned previously, two girls in my class and I had the great opportunity of shadowing a man named Sergio Castro. Just to refresh your memory, Sergio is a trained veteranarian who gives medical attention to people who do not have access to doctors. Most of the people he treats have burns or diabetic ulcers. Sergio also helps build schools for communities that do not have access to education.
Today started with us going to see one of his school projects in a community approximately 10km outside of San Cristobal. The project was interesting and seemed to be similar in nature to projects that I have seen done by the Arthur Frederick Community Builders. After looking at the project, we drove back into San Cristobal to do rounds with Sergio and see how he cares for his patients. The first man we saw had bad burns from when he had a seizure and fell into a fire. It was really impressive to see the care that Sergio gave this man and the rest of his patients.After the burn victim, we saw him treat about four or five elderly people with diabetic ulcers on their legs. Sergio told us that among the people living in San Cristobal, he sees more ulcers than anything else. The people he treats outside of San Cristobal, however, are mostly indigenous people that have fallen into fires and are severely burned. I recommend youtubing "Sergio Castro Chiapas" if you want to learn more. After we got back to Sergio's museum, we found out that he does rounds every morning and every afternoon he treats people at his museum. However, after spending a day with Sergio and seeing all that he does for the people of Chiapas, I couldn't help but wonder: what will happen when he's gone?
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment