Monday, February 14, 2011

Hola

Hello all,
I am just going to give a brief update as to what I have been up to the last few days. On Friday (Feb 11) we were back at the park picking up garbage again, this time it wasn't raining and we were hiking along the river. Saturday (Feb 12) was a very interesting day. We went to a Natate project near the town of Teopisca which is attempting to become completely self sustainable. The building was built mostly out of adobe (mud) right from the property. They also have a green house, chicken coop, stream for water and a dry toilet which makes the project very eco-friendly. There were three projects for the day:  working on the chicken coop, working on a garden or making adobe bricks. I chose adobe and I feel that I made the right decision. The work was very hard and it took about 9 of us two hours to make 20 adobe bricks. After the work was done, the Natate people cooked us a very nice lunch on site.
Sunday (Feb 13) was a free day where I spent most of my time relaxing and not doing much. I should mention, however, that Sunday was the first time I ate something other than Mexican food because we went out for a pizza dinner.
Today we were back with our Natate projects, however, instead of working at the park, I showed up and they decided to take me to a botanican garden in Tuxla Gutierrez while everyone else had to stay behind and rake leaves. At the botanical garden our task was to clear debris and brush which was hard work but still fun. Before working, however, I got to witness the ribbon cutting ceremony for a local palentological museum. The best part of the day though was the drive to Tuxla and the drive home where I was in the back of a pick-up truck looking at the beautiful scenery.
Anyways, I look forward to updating everyone again soon, but for now I am off.
Scott

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day to my love Caroline!
P.P.S. Happy Birthday Chris Dionne!

No comments:

Post a Comment