Hello all,
We arrived today in San Cristobal after a relatively short bus ride from Tuxla Gutierrez. Today was an orientatation day where we moved into the hotel and walked around the city. We also went to the Treehouse Language School which is where we will be spending most of our group time together because from here on in we will split off into smaller groups and leave the large one behind. The funeral for archbishop Samuel Ruiz was today at the cathedral and we caught the tail end of the event (the picture on this blog is of the cathedral by the way). If you do not know who Samuel Ruiz is, he is most famous for being one of the main negotiators between the Zapatistas and the federal government and he is very much loved down here. If you do not know who the Zapatistas are, look it up. I am lucky to learn that over the next 3 days I will have free internet access because the hotel we are staying at has wifi. After the three days we are at the hotel, we will all move into our family homes. I will probably not write new posts every day but I will keep you up to date as much as possible. Adios.
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment